HISTORY OF PEACE LUTHERAN CHURCH

DATE EVENT
July 1, 1956            Rev. Eugene Bensch, was called to start up this congregation. Nearly four acres along Dayton-Xenia Road were purchased.
August 5, 1956    The first service was held in the Knollwood Civic Building, which is now the Beavercreek Senior Citizen’s Center.
September 30, 1956   Rev. Eugene Bensch was installed as Peace’s first pastor and sixty-nine charter members were received into the congregation. 
March, 1957   The first issue of the Tidings, the Church newsletter was published.
April 7, 1957 The groundbreaking service for Peace’s first worship unit and the parsonage was held. 
August 4, 1957   Pastor Bensch and his wife, Barbara, move into the parsonage. 
October 20, 1957   First worship service held in the new church.
November 3, 1957    The new church dedicated. 
May 11, 1958  The church began to hold two worship services. By the end of 1958, Peace became self-supporting and had 171 members.
March 23, 1960  Pastor Bensch accepted a call to become the pastor at St. Matthew Lutheran Church (Cridersville, Ohio). 
July 27, 1960    Rev. Dwight Hedrick installed as Peace’s second pastor. 
November, 1961   Groundbreaking service was held for an Educational Unit.
June 17, 1962   The addition was dedicated. When membership surpassed 500 members, the congregation voted in 1965 to study the feasibility of building a new facility.
July 14, 1968  Groundbreaking services were held for the new sanctuary. 
October 25, 1970    The new sanctuary was dedicated. 
August, 1977  Pastor Hedrick and his wife Marilyn moved to Peace Lutheran Church in Gahanna, Ohio
September 1977 to March 1978  Dr. Max Culver, a pastor and professor at Capital University, served as the interim pastor. 
March 19, 1978     Rev Arnold Athey installed as the pastor of Peace Lutheran Church. 
1981 The congregation purchased an additional four acres of land adjacent to the church property. 
June 7, 1981   Rev. Richard Poock was installed as Associate Pastor.
December, 1984    Pastor Athey moved to Lacrosse, Wisconsin to become the pastor of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church. 
November 9, 1986   Rev. Thomas Bernlohr was installed as Senior Pastor. 
1987  The congregation approved a recommendation from the Long-Range Planning Committee to hire a youth director. Since then Donna Laurence (1988-91), Cate Malone (1992-94), Sue Hedlund (1994-2003), Heather Lewantowicz (1995-97), Kirsten Roberts (1997-2001), Beth Townshend (2001-2007), Bryan Jaster (2007- 2014 ), Carissa Lopez (2014-present) and Julie Jones-Wright (2003- ) have directed our children’s and youth ministries. 
November, 1989   An architect was hired for a new facility.
December 31, 1989   Pastor Poock retired from full-time ministry. 
June 17, 1990 Rev. Robert Brown was installed as Associate Pastor. 
March 28, 1993   Ground breaking for the addition was held.
September 11, 1994  The facilities were dedicated and are now being used by many community organizations. 
1994  The church added a year-round Saturday worship service. 
May 4, 1997   Linda Cole was installed as Associate in Ministry for Parish Administration and Pastoral Care. 
1999 The church added a third worship service on Sunday morning. 
August, 2003  Seminarian Tom Batterman began his year of internship and was ordained in April, 2006. 
2004 Peace members began a ministry partnership with the members and programs at Christ Lutheran Church, an urban congregation in Old North Dayton. 
2006 50th anniversary of Peace commemorated.
August, 2009 Seminarian Alexandra King began her year of internship.
May 1, 2011  Rev. Thomas Bernlohr retired and Pastor Tom Batterman was installed as Interim Senior Pastor.
March 1, 2012    Rev. Stephen Kimm was installed as our new Senior Pastor.
2013  Peace members began a ministry partnership with the members and programs at North Riverdale Lutheran Church.
July 1, 2014    Seminarian Larry Grunden began his year of internship.
November, 2014 Renovation of Sanctuary and Narthex planning begins
January 5, 2015    Kevin E Pyle hired as Parish Administrator. 
February 1, 2015   Rev. P. Douglas (Doug) Campbell begins as Interim Associate Pastor.
February 22, 2015 Contract manager for renovations chosen.
March 1, 2015    Pastor Robert Brown’s retired from full-time ministry. 
March 1, 2015    Associate in Ministry Linda Cole retired from full-time ministry.
March 9, 2015 Peace Lutheran's new web site goes live. 
 November 15, 2015  Linda Hill Lally installed as Music Director
 November 22, 2015 Pastor Carey Hovland-Mtui is installed as our Associate Pastor.